PDF and SVG exports should export text as text.

User 49f62f3bcf

26-09-2012 11:52:41

Hi,

As stated in the subject, the PDF and SVG export modules should export text as text, not as vector representations of fonts. Or let the user having the choice between both.

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

26-09-2012 12:57:24

Hi,

we will consider this request, and I am issueing a ticket to our issue tracker about this.

We need a bit more time to evaluate the work what this request means for us, and therefore I can not tell any estimate for this currently, we will update you in this topic.

To make sure we can not provide other solution then improveing the pdf and svg export, let me ask some question:
What for do you need this feature, what would you like to achive with the textual data or how it could help your work the most? What are the priorities of the different textual data (for example textbox is a showstopper, but atom labels are not) for you? I hope the answers will give us some insight about what is the thing you need to solve which requires this feature, and we can better help you to solve it for you.

Regards,
Istvan

User 49f62f3bcf

26-09-2012 13:11:42

ifajth wrote:

Hi,

we will consider this request, and I am issueing a ticket to our issue tracker about this.

We need a bit more time to evaluate the work what this request means for us, and therefore I can not tell any estimate for this currently, we will update you in this topic.

To make sure we can not provide other solution then improveing the pdf and svg export, let me ask some question:
What for do you need this feature, what would you like to achive with the textual data or how it could help your work the most? What are the priorities of the different textual data (for example textbox is a showstopper, but atom labels are not) for you? I hope the answers will give us some insight about what is the thing you need to solve which requires this feature, and we can better help you to solve it for you.

Regards,
Istvan

Thanks for your fast answer.

The fact that atoms labels be as text will not be of great interest for me, except when resizing some structures, but that's anecdotic and not a priority.

But the text written (molecule names for example) should really be exported as text as I'm using LaTeX for my thesis and other documents. As my LaTeX output is in pdf, every figure I include as a pdf got their text indexable (like what Zotero is doing using pdftotext) and searchable by the reader, and that's a really important feature for me. For now, I'm removing all the vector text provided by MS and replace it by real text in inkscape. But that's a slow and error prone process.

Hope it'll clarify why I was asking this.

Regards,

Jonathan

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

01-10-2012 11:34:01

Hi Jonathan,

yes it is perfectly clear, thank you. I am putting this request into our issue tracking system, after I got the time to gather the information for an estimate, I will got back to you.

Regards,
Istvan